Frequently Asked Questions
Updated July 23, 2010
Copyright © 1999-2020 by Steve Jackson Games, Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
- Does an account on a hub count as "adjacent" when trying to hack into, or nark on, a system of a similar network type?
- Yes, it does.
- Can you intentionally trigger ICE?
- Yes, just by hacking a system and saying "I'm triggering the ICE."
- When playing Hacker Lite, do you lose all of your equipment when a raid card is played on you or just your modem?
- You only lose your modem.
- Can you use more than one set of allies at a time?
- Can you nark on any Indial?
- Yes. Since you call from your home system, you are already adjacent to it.
- Do crashed systems roll for housecleaning?
- Can the NCIC's special ability return someone to the game if they've already gotten three busts?
- No. Good try, but no.
- If you use a defense card (e.g., Congressional Inquiry, Whoops, Dummy Equipment, etc.), after being raided, do you still lose the rest of your turn?
- If you lose your equipment, you lose your turn, but not otherwise. However, you always lose your account on the system you were hacking into when you were raided.
- Hacker II gives components for 7 or 8 players. What's the starting card setup for those games?
- Whoops . . . 7-player game: 17 regular systems, 4 indials. 8-player game: 19 regular systems, 5 indials.
- In Hacker II, does "never housecleans" really mean it? For instance, will a Black ICE trace cause a housecleaning on a never-housecleans system? What about the Hacker Hysteria card?
- No. A system which never housecleans REALLY never housecleans . . . except, as the rules say, to try to deal with the Worm. Of course, a hacker can always do his own housecleaning on such a system.
- What is the die roll for automatic housecleaning when there are 7 or 8 players on a system? The original Hacker rules only go up to 6 players (of course). Automatic housecleaning occurs on a die roll of 1, 2, or 3 when there are 6 players present on a system.
- It's still at a roll of 1, 2 or 3 for 6 or more players.