INWO Variant: Last Man Standing
By Aaron Curtis
- The Basic Goal starts at 10 groups.
- Each time someone fulfils a goal, they get two victory points. If the goals involved the Basic Goal, increase the Basic Goal by one group. If more than one player fulfils a goal based on the Basic Goal on the same turn, they each get one victory point (the Basic Goal is still increased by one group, however).
- A player cannot score a particular goal more than once, except the Basic Goal. If a goal card was used, it is discarded, and may not be recovered by any means.
- The game ends when all players agree that they cannot progress further. At this point, they can reveal hidden goals for additional points.
- At the end of the game, each player adds to his total 1/2 point for each group in his destroyed pile, and 1 point for each Illuminati. The highest total wins.
The effect of these rules is that a "Last Man Standing" strategy could work, but there are other strategies (multiple goals cards, rampant destruction) that can also win if the game winds down to a stalemate (which is quite likely). A speed deck with multiple doublers could rack up the first several Basic Goal victories, and possibly even win on points even if he is destroyed later.