Second Edition Changes - September 1997
The Second Edition of Knightmare Chess has a few changes to card text and other details, all of which are
listed here. This list was painstakingly developed by Hunter Johnson, and
HTMLized by Sam Falco. Changes to cards are listed in alphabetic order by card name.
Only cards that have been changed are listed.
Three types of changes were so common that Hunter just gave them numbers. The numbers are listed under 'Card Change Notations Defined."
Cards with Changes, in Alphabetic Order:
A B C D E F
G H I & K L M N & O
P R S T U, V, & W
- "Second Edition" right above the title on the front.
- Font changes on the front, sides, and back.
- Text color change on the bottom.
- Symbols on top replaced with "Make a move. Play a card. Chess will
never be the same."
- "Contains a complete set of 80" becomes "contains 80" on the back,
"and rules." becomes "and complete rules."
- Man of Straw sample card reflects new card (duh).
- ISBN changed last three digits: 195 becomes 322
- The King Icon behind Knightmare is gone.
- Page enlarged to legal-sized sheet.
- Card Icon Key dropped.
- "Second Edition" right above the title.
- "Published by Ludolelire" dropped.
- Anthony Rezendes added to the Graphic design credit.
- Second Edition production by Diana DeFrancesco, Anthony Rezendes and
- Development coordinator: Hunter Johnson.
- Hunter Johnson and Ian Schreider added to Playtesters credit
- Copyright notice added.
Anatomy of a Card:
- Blessing sample card reflects new card (duh).
- "Card Name" and "Point Value" listed in different order.
- "Affected Piece(s) (see key)" dropped.
Building a Deck:
- First two paragraphs combined.
- "Beside the point value indicates that the card can appear" becomes
"beside the value indicates the that card is considered *unique*.
Each unique card can appear".
- "You may never play more than one card on your move, or on your
opponent's move." becomes "You may never play more than one card on
your turn, or on your opponent's turn."
- "Exception" and "continuing effect" no longer italicized in the fourth
- "Continuing Effect" receives initial caps throughout.
- New rule: If the initial conditions for a Continuing Effect are no
longer met, the Continuing Effect is not discarded, but the effect
is suspended until the initial conditions are once again met.
- "Or use a sticky note" added to the suggestions for transformed
pieces (Hi, Ed!).
The Checkmate Rule:
- New rule: And you cannot use a before-move card to check the enemy
King, and then "capture" it with your regular move. The King cannot
However, you *could* use a before-move card (say, Disintegrate, to
remove an obstructing pawn) and then make a regular move to
checkmate the enemy King.
- "However" becomes "Likewise" in the continuing-effect caveat.
- "A player may" becomes "you may" in the last paragraph.
- "If he *immediately, on the same turn,* plays" becomes "if *on the
same turn* you play" in the last paragraph.
- Last sentence becomes new paragraph: When two cards appear to
conflict, Continuing Effects take precedence. If both, or neither,
are Continuing Effects, the last card played takes precedence.
Special Pawn Rules (new section)
- Any pawn in its owner's first or second rank may make a two-square
"initial move," even if it has already moved. Any pawn making such
a move may be captured *en passant*.
- Pawns may promote only to Queen, Rook, Knight or Bishop. They may not
promote to new types of piece.
- Pawns which reach the last rank by any means except a normal Pawn move
do not promote unless the card specifically says they *do* promote,
and may not promote to a piece which create an immediate checkmate.
If your Pawn reaches the last rank on your *opponent's* move, via a
card which allows promotion, it promotes immediately. In the case
of simulataneous promotions by both players, the moving player must
- Legal Move is dropped.
- "Refers to the *loss*" becomes "refers to the *loss* or *removal*".
- "Treat it as *captured." becomes "treat it as *captured* for all
- "A captured piece" becomes "Captured pieces".
- "by certain cards." becomes "by cards."
- Move is redefined: The displacement of one piece from one square to
another. This can be either a Regular Move, or a move specified by a
- Piece is reworded: This term always includes pawns.
- Regular Move is added: A move which is legal by the rules of chess, as
modified by any continuing-effect cards in play.
- Replace is reworded: Take a piece from play and put another piece in
its place. If a card specifies that the replacement must be a
captured piece, *dead* pieces cannot be used.
- "Exchange the positions" becomes "Exchange positions"
- Turn is added: The period of one player's action. This normally
includes one Move and, optionally, the play or discard of one card.
In addition, a card may also be played by the acting player's
opponent, either during or immediately after the turn.
- "You may discard on you opponent's turn as well as your
own." dropped as redundant.
- "Opponent's" italicized.
- "You may still discard on your own turn as well." added.
- "If you use up all the cards, just reshuffle the discards." added.
- "a bigger deck, or the stronger player a smaller deck,
or both." becomes "more points to work with."
- "and check out the Knightmare Chess mailing list -- join by sending
e-mail to email@example.com with the message subscribe
- Card Name is in wider and brighter font.
- Picture border is white on the inside.
- Card Icons are dropped.
- Effect is in black text on fade-to-white background.
- "Play this card on your move" becomes "Play this card on your
- "This effect is added to your regular move" is dropped.
- "immediately after your opponent's move." becomes "immediately
after your opponent's turn."
Abduction: "you remove any of" becomes "you remove any one of"
Bog: "Queen, Bishop or Rook" becomes "Rook, Bishop or Queen", (3)
Challenge: becomes unique "new piece that can" becomes "new piece. It can".
"be affected by" becomes "is affected by".
Confabulation: "two of your pieces" becomes "two of your pieces (other
"Confabulated Pawns cannot promote." added.
"Until the combined piece" becomes "Until the piece".
Curse: "Until the end of the game." becomes "Until the affected piece
Dark Mirror: (1)
Doomsayer: "When you play this card, your opponent had the option of
naming a piece immediately." added.
Dungeon: "except his King" becomes "except a King".
Earthquake: "Pawns in the new first and last ranks are affected as
above." becomes "Pawns are affected as above."
Evil Eye: (1)
Fanatic: (1)"is also trapped" becomes "becomes trapped".
Fatal Attraction: "no piece (belonging to either player)" becomes "no
piece of any color (except Kings)"
Forced March: (1)
Fortification: "chessboard, in a straight" becomes "chessboard,
between squares, in a straight".
Ghost Walk: (1)
Guardian: "it is the Pawn's first move" becomes "the Pawn is in the
second rank", 1)
Hidden Passage: (1)
Hostage: "is taken." becomes "is captured."
Irresistible Force: both "next"s are italicized. "is taken!" becomes "is captured!", (1)
Long Jump: (1)
Lost Castle: (1)
Madman: "If the Pawn ends this move in the last rank, it is not
promoted" is dropped, (1) "opposing" is italicized.
Man of Straw: (2)
Man-Trap: "When you play this card," is dropped.
The second paragraph is joined with the first.
Neutrality: "any time it is moved" is italicized. "Once captured, it regains its normal color." is dropped.
"lost." becomes "captured."
Pacifism: (2) "the end of the game." becomes "the affected piece is
removed from the board." "before your move. This effect is added to your regular move."
becomes "on your move, instead of making a regular move."
[Should have been "on your turn". Likely erratum.]
Passing in the Night: both "two"s italicized.
Peace Talks: "lose that piece." becomes "that piece is considered
Plots Within Plots: "Within" gets initial cap in the title.
"moves" is italicized.
"the second card you play says" becomes "each of the cards says".
Revenge: "regarded as captured." becomes "captured."
Riposte: the second paragraph is joined with the first.
Split Knight: (1)
Squaring the Circle: "A Pawn which reaches the last rank with this
card is not promoted." is dropped, (1)
Think Again!: (2)The second paragraph is joined with the first.
Toll: "it is considered captured." is dropped.
"his move is canceled." becomes "his turn is canceled."
Under Elf Hill: (1)
Vendetta: "cannot" is italicized.
Winged Victory: (1)