Written by Matt Riggsby and William H. Stoddard
Edited by Sean Punch
Illustrated by Rod Reis
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
52 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1663
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Butcher, Baker, Candlestick-Maker
Society is built on the backs of people who gather resources and turn them into food, shelter, and finished goods. Low-Tech Companion 3: Daily Life and Economics looks at the lot of ordinary TL0-4 folk – much of which is of concern to adventurers, too! Contents include:
- Food. How to gather and prepare it, whether you're raising crops or hunting game on the way to your next adventure.
- Domesticated Animals. Stats for common beasts as sources of both labor and food.
- Big Machines. Costs, weights, and performance figures for heavy construction and industrial equipment.
- Manufacturing. Work out how long it takes to make that nifty new sword and how much it costs – and learn secrets that would make it better!
- Construction. Detailed rules for erecting buildings of all sorts, from log cabins to Gothic cathedrals.
- Transportation. Guidelines for hauling and shipping almost anything, with stats for low-tech merchant vessels.
- Occupations. Details about many common jobs, complete with new Professional Skills and practical advice on thriving as a merchant.
If you're not satisfied with fantasy worlds where nobody gets his hands dirty and everything is for sale at the market, then Low-Tech Companion 3: Daily Life and Economics is for you.
Low-Tech Companion 3: Daily Life and Economics is a supplement to GURPS Low-Tech. The information on manpower, manufacturing, and resources would be useful in any campaign that values historical realism.
- See GURPS Low-Tech Companion 1: Philosophers and Kings for information on the social tools that made day-to-day life possible, including information on medicine, mathematics, and music.
- GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors gives more details on the gear and social structures necessary to keep citizens safe.
- When a toiling populace daydreams, its thoughts can turn to gear, equipment, and achievements that are (as far as we know) impossible. See GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality for more possibilities of what could have been.
- For additional material that builds off the foundation of this supplement, check out Pyramid #3/33: Low-Tech and Pyramid #3/52: Low-Tech II.
- For additional information on historical "thieves' guilds" (or lack thereof), check out Pyramid #3/47: The Rogue's Life.
- e23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in digital form, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!