Written by Matt Riggsby
Edited by Nikola Vrtis
Illustrated by Klaus Scherwinski and Ruth Thompson
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
37 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1664
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Researchers, scientists, and engineers have worked for millennia trying to turn the possible into the practical. But for every successful innovation, thousands have remained tantalizingly out of reach, lurking just a hair's breadth from the feasible . . . just an aching angstrom beyond the achievable . . . just beyond the edge of reality.
GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality covers dozens of innovations that were not part of our own developmental timeline, but could have been. Whether mythical maybes, developmental dead ends, or legendary lore, these innovations and inventions push the envelope of the possible. And these unreal technologies include relevant GURPS stats, to make a real difference to your game worlds. Contained herein are:
- New and strange weapons, including the reflective heat ray, the anti-ship claw, and the 11-barrel Leonardo battery.
- Combination weapons. Can't decide between a gun and a sword? Consider a gun-sword!
- A new type of armament: "ethnic cool" weaponry. If the tales are true, beware facing the horse-killing macuahuitl, the Welsh longbow, or the legendary katana!
- A dozen types of not-quite-possible transport, including tanks, land-sailing vessels, and submarines.
- Six new kinds of mythical and near-possible armor. Learn the legends surrounding treated linen armor, gothic plate, and studded armor.
- Alternate scientific achievements, such as unusual sources of power, odd disciplines and pseudosciences, and unusual legendary materials (including the "truth" behind transparent aluminum!).
- Four technologies that could have been introduced earlier, but for some reason weren't. Sure, you can change the world with gunpowder, but you can do at least as much with germ therapy . . .
Since the dawn of time, dreamers and inventors have dared to ask, "What if?" With Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality, you can know the answer.
- To learn more about impossible inventor Leonardo da Vinci and his incredible city, visit GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Florence (also written by Matt Riggsby!).
- To discover alternate Earths where some of these unlikely technologies might actually work or even became commonplace, see GURPS Infinite Worlds.
- The GURPS Low-Tech series gives you all the information you need to bring realism to your early societies.
- For information on how magical technologies and society intersect in city-shaking ways, check out GURPS Urban Magics.
- For a look how the equipment from this supplement might have evolved into more recent eras, check out "Fantasy-Tech 2000" from Pyramid #3/46: Weird Science – written by Matt Riggsby!
- e23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in digital form, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!