Written by Kenneth Hite
Edited by Jason "PK" Levine
Illustrated by Heather Bruton, Steve Bryant, Zach Howard, Dan Smith, Ray Snyder, and Nikola Vrtis
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
65 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1682
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Can You Handle The Truth?
History is a lie. The truth is that the godlike Anunnakku enslaved mankind, co-opted language to program us, and established the superhuman šedu as our overseers. And that would have been The End if reality-warping disaster hadn't overturned everything in 535 A.D., leaving the true past forgotten but not gone, shoved from human memory by a collective delusion. Now the irruptors – servants of the Anunnakku, dimly remembered as monsters of myth – gnaw at the edges of our world, seeking to return their masters to power and history to the way it was.
Most humans are clueless about all this. Worse, those who discover snippets of the truth tend to worship the Anunnakku or irruptors as gods, or turn the power of language and symbols to misguided ends, making the situation worse. Fortunately, a stalwart few are moved to defend our reality from forces that would rewrite it. Welcome to Project SANDMAN!
GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier gives you everything you need to run a campaign featuring Project SANDMAN and its human, inhuman, and superhuman rivals:
- The Truth. Discover the real history of the world, how it fractured from what we see today, and the dangers we face if everything old becomes new again – and learn about the origins of Project SANDMAN, and the battle they fight for our reality, whether we like it or not.
- The Warriors. Create high-end heroes using the eight included character templates, a unique martial art, and powerful mental disciplines for rapidly absorbing new skills, resisting mind control, and even swapping personalities.
- The Tools. Gear up with specialized equipment, from the technological (drugs, surgical brain-hacking gear, and implants) to "reality shards" with amazing powers that defy explanation.
- The Enemy. Battle an entire bestiary of powerful irruptors . . . not to mention human and more-than-human traitors.
- The Weirdness. Make slaves and influence people with the words, memes, and potent symbols used by all sides of the secret war for reality.
In GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier, the stakes are nothing less than losing your mind, your reality, and everything you believe to be true. Being an elite warrior means only that you know what the world stands to lose, and you willingly expose yourself to dangers far beyond your abilities. Who says that "scary" and "high-powered" don't mix?
- Form a good foundation in all things terrifying, with GURPS Horror.
- Learn how to win friends and influence victims on any side of this conflict, with GURPS Social Engineering.
- Fight the good fight in hand-to-hand combat, using GURPS Martial Arts as your guide.
- For more information on memetics, check out Transhuman Space: Changing Times and the GURPS Third Edition supplement Transhuman Space: Toxic Memes.
- Augment this setting's possibilities with new psionic abilities, options, and template changes, with "Expanded Psi for Sandmen" from Pyramid #3/69: Psionics II.
- For an adventure that pits the heroes against monsters erasing teammates from existence, see "Iraqi Irruptor Blues" from Pyramid #3/81: Horrific Creations.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!