Written by Sean Punch
Edited by Sean Punch
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
38 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1652
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Academy, fraternity, guild, order, school, society . . . fantasy has many names for wizardly cliques and factions. Sometimes, these are merely social constructs. Just as often, though, such groups represent philosophically distinct sects with unique magical methods, known as magical arts or styles.
GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles aims to bring this richness to your fantasy worlds. For the GM, it offers tools for giving diverse magical arts distinctive thaumatological roles in the campaign. For players, it presents detailed advice and all-new abilities for creating memorable wizards with meaningful differences in training and philosophy. Contents include:
- Detailed instructions for grouping skills, spells, and other abilities into cohesive styles.
- A college-by-college look at the basics taught to beginning wizards, complete with handy spell lists.
- Practical tools for restructuring colleges and prerequisites.
- Magic Perks – new perks for wizards only!
- Advice on extending all of these things to clerics and other non-wizardly spellcasters.
- A detailed, fully worked example: the secretive Onyx Path.
GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles is most useful if you have both GURPS Magic and GURPS Thaumatology, but it's a valuable aid even if you're using only the magic rules in the GURPS Basic Set. Those who would rather not use styles will still find both Magic Perks and the advice for magicians on choosing skills and spells valuable in any GURPS fantasy campaign.
- GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic – A collection of seven sorcerous societies suitable for crypt-crawling adventures.
- GURPS Thaumatology – Fantasy settings are defined by their magic . . . so different worlds need different magic systems.
- GURPS Magic – All the spells from the Third Edition GURPS Magic and GURPS Grimoire, plus dozens of all-new spells, in the ultimate tome of magic!
- GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements – With skills falling somewhere between cinematic combat skills and magic spells, Imbuements allow characters to channel an exotic force – or supernatural ability! – into whatever weapon they have in hand.
- Pyramid #3/4: Magic on the Battlefield – Includes Line Editor Sean Punch's description of a group of martial mages using both GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles and GURPS Mass Combat!
- Pyramid #3/48: Secret Magic – Discover two new magical styles, both devoted (in different ways) to building and maintaining secrecy.
- Pyramid #3/64: Pirates and Swashbucklers – Featuring a magical style based on pirate mayhem, with three secret spells!
- Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic – Includes an optional intersection of Ritual Path magic (from Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic) with Magical Styles.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!