Written by Phil Masters
Edited by Sean Punch
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
275 pages. PDF.
Stock number 31-0107
Always Available – Click here to buy!
272 pages. Hardcover.
Suggested Retail Price $39.95
Stock number 01-0107
Out Of Print – Click here for dealer info
Feel the Power!
Fantasy settings are defined by their magic . . . so different worlds need different magic systems. GURPS Thaumatology has GURPS Fourth Edition updates of the best Third Edition magic variants, plus many all-new options. This mighty tome includes:
- Minor tweaks for the spell-based magic of the Basic Set: restructuring prerequisites and colleges, modifying Magery and mana, new magical energy sources, adapting spells on the fly, and more.
- Radical revisions of spell-based magic, including detailed versions of the clerical and ritual magic options hinted at in the Basic Set, and the return of that Third Edition classic, "unlimited mana."
- Traditional alternatives to spells, such as ceremonial, spirit-mediated, and runic magic.
- World-shaking freeform magic.
- Magic as inherent powers.
- An in-depth look at material magic, with new alchemy, herbalism, and enchantment options; rules for free-willed items and magical gadgets; and guidelines for "the stuff of raw magic."
- Notes on adapting real-world occult concepts – such as the Laws of Magic, astrology, and traditional material components – to any magic system.
- Guidelines for running magic-oriented games, advice on combining magic systems, and detailed outlines for four distinctly different fantastic campaigns.
GURPS Thaumatology requires the GURPS Basic Set, Fourth Edition. GURPS Magic is recommended but not required. The discussions of different magical styles would enhance any game that features magic.
- GURPS Magic – All the spells from the Third Edition GURPS Magic and GURPS Grimoire, plus dozens of all-new spells, in the ultimate tome of magic!
- GURPS Powers – Here's everything you need to create every kind of amazing, off-the-chart superhero you can imagine . . . as well as amazing wizards, wuxia fighters, shamans who command spirits . . . even gods!
- GURPS Thaumatology: Age of Gold – In the world of the 1930s, costumed crimefighters clash with cunning criminals. The eldritch forces that empowered Merlin and Circe have emerged anew.
- GURPS Thaumatology: Alchemical Baroque – A world that mixes musketry with magic, and sets it all against an almost-familiar historical backdrop (if you ignore the fairies and talking cats).
- GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers – A flavorful example of using powers to represent magical arts.
- GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles – Detailed instructions for how to organize skills, spells, and abilities into unique and interesting arcane arts.
- GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic – A standalone magic system that lets you do anything . . . if you're willing to risk harnessing the powers of the universe.
- GURPS Thaumatology: Urban Magics – Information and insight about how magic influences city life . . . and vice versa!
- Pyramid #3/13: Thaumatology – Featuring two new paths of GURPS Thaumatology magic, including a full treatment of fairy-tale magic.
- Pyramid #3/28: Thaumatology II – A new arcane school for Thaumatology: Magical Styles, an expansion on alchemy rules, variants for ceremonial magic, and more!
- Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III – An arcane school for Thaumatology: Magical Styles penned by Sean Punch, a radical revision of spell innovation, new ghoul-themed rituals, and other arcane amazements!
- Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic – Several new options that tie directly to GURPS Thaumatology!
- e23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in digital form, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!
- The complete bibliography is online, with links to every referenced book, movie, etc., that's available through Amazon. (Yes, if you buy from one of these links, Amazon pays a percentage to SJ Games!)
- For more bibliographies of GURPS books, check out our GURPS Bibliographies page.